How does a Vegetarian Celebrate Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving is an occasion where people say a word of thanks to all those who have helped them and made their life beautiful. We must not forget to say thanks to Almighty or Creator of the World for giving us a wonderful life. Historians believe that people used to celebrate thanksgiving much before the arrival of English Separatists over Plymouth in the year 1620. However, they celebrated thanksgiving in the fall of 1621 when the harvest was in abundance. A Spanish explorer Pedro Menendez de Avile is the one who held thanksgiving for the first time in America for the safe arrival of his crew members. This is one of the controversies that surround Plymouth thanksgiving. Whatever be the controversies that involve thanksgiving, the basic purpose of celebrating the occasion remains unchanged.
Thanksgiving celebrations for vegans:
Thanksgiving celebration comprises of grand feast. Sans the feast, the celebration is colorless. Turkey is the main course of thanksgiving dinner/lunch. But, vegetarians cannot have turkey. The sentiment behind consuming vegetarian food is personal and generally related because of love towards animals. The vegetarians also have many options to choose for the thanksgiving feast.
- Instead of turkey, vegetarians can choose tofu which is a type of cottage cheese made from soya milk. It is packed with lots of proteins and essential nutrients. The course made from tofu tastes really good. One can make tofu curry in Indian style or just roast the plain tofu till it is cooked. One can also make Greek tofu salad which is full of nutrients and less in calories for calorie-conscious people. Lemon Pepper Baked Tofu also makes an interesting recipe. Thus, one can make various dishes out of tofu and tickle the taste buds.
- Tofu forms the main course of thanksgiving feast for the vegetarians. What about other side dishes? Well, don't worry; you have many options to choose from. Corn dishes make a lip-smacking recipe. One can make several dishes of corn in different ways. The basic corn recipe is to boil the sweet corn till it gets cooked. Be sure that the sweet corn is not raw or else it becomes difficult for digestion. Take boiled sweet corn in a bowl and add a gallop of butter to it. This recipe is very simple to make and requires very little efforts. Also, it is time saving. According to individual taste and choice, one can make interesting combinations of sweet corn. Apart from sweet corn, butter, milk and good quality bread is also served. Cranberry sauce is also an essential course of thanksgiving feast. The sauce is delicious and very easy to make.
- Desserts are a must for any celebration; be it thanksgiving or Christmas. One can prepare pumpkin pie in traditional way. Apple pie and other types of pies make for scrumptious desserts. Pastries are definitely must on the menu. Children are especially attracted by the pastries. One can make pastries of different colors to make it more appealing for the eyes.
- Since, thanksgiving symbolizes gratitude; one must also do some social work on this day. You can go in an orphanage and extend your love towards the children. Putting a smile on face of these innocents is such a satisfactory experience difficult to pen down. One can also feed the poor. Do not forget to take care of Mother Earth as it is getting destroyed gradually. Plant and nurture as many trees as possible. Use eco-friendly goods to save the environment. "Save Environment" is the need of the hour.
- Spend time with family and closed ones. These would be the moments that you will cherish throughout your life. Tell your family how much you love them and care about them. You can spend family time by watching a football match with your family members or going out at some place for fun and enjoyment.
Above enlisted are few of the ways on how does a vegetarian celebrate thanksgiving. Celebrate thanksgiving in your own style and make the day memorable for you and others around you.
Happy Thanksgiving Day!