Thanksgiving parties are all about abundance of delicious meals and desserts. Most of the foods prepared for this occasion are high calorific foods, which are not always healthy. Instead of having meals with loads of butter and cheese, you can try some recipes which are healthy and delicious too. There are a number of healthy Thanksgiving recipes that are easy to prepare and delicious in taste.
Keeping the importance of traditional food in mind, preparing a dinner with lower calories and fat that will thrill the crowd, isn’t too tough. All you require is few clever fat-busting tips along with some ingredient substitutions. Find few low calories and healthy Thanksgiving recipes that are prepared by using seasonal fruits, herbs, vegetables and spices to minimize the use of excessive cream, butter and salt. Few dishes are healthy modifications in the traditional recipes, while others are twirls on classic fare. Check out a few healthy thanksgiving recipes.
Sweet Potato, Cranberry, Coconut Muffins
Dried cranberries, mashed sweet potato, coconut, applesauce and Greek yogurt are mixed in a spiced muffin batter. This batter is made up of ground flax seed and whole wheat pastry.
What Are Ingredients?
- Brown sugar – 1/ 2 cup
- Flax seed ( finely ground)- 1/4 cup
- Beaten eggs – 2
- Dried cranberries – 1/2 cup
- Pastry flour ( whole wheat) – 1 1/2 cups
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – 1 teaspoon
- Unsweetened Applesauce – 1/4 cup
- Plain Greek Yogurt (Nonfat) – 1/4 cup
- Baking Soda – 1/2 teaspoon
- Skim Milk – 1/4 cup
- Sweet Potatoes (Purred Canned) – 1 cup
- Unsweetened Coconut 1/4 cup
Procedure of Preparation
Take a bowl, mix ground Flax seed, brown sugar, pastry flour, pumpkin pie spice, salt and baking soda. Take another bowl and add cranberries, applesauce, sweet potatoes, eggs, yogurt, milk and coconut; stir until the mixture gets blend well. Spray the nonstick spray into the pan and spoon the batter. Use some unsweetened coconut to sprinkle on the top of the muffins. Keep the pan in the oven and allow it to bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
No-Bake Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake
This delicious dish is luscious and each of its slices contains below 200 calories.
- Neufchtel ( low fat cream cheese) – 1 package of 8 ounce
- Graham crackers ( finely crushed)- 3/4 cups
- Melted butter – 2 tablespoons
- Fat free milk – 1/2 cup
- Orange peel ( finely shredded) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Cream cheese ( fat free ) – 2 packages
- Vanilla – 2 teaspoons
- Orange juice 1/4 cup
- Pumpkin pie spice – 1 teaspoon
- Pumpkin- 1 can of 15 ounce
- Unflavored gelatin – 1 envelope
Procedure of Preparation
- For preparing crust: Take a bowl; stir melted butter with crushed graham crackers until the crackers get moistened. Drop this mixture and press in an 8 inch spring form pan. Cover this pan and allow it to chill till the preparation of the filling.
- Filling: Mix 1/4 cup of the sugar, vanilla, milk (1/4), orange peel and low fat cream cheese in a bowl with blender. Cover this mixture and blend until it gets smoothen. Transfer this mixture into a medium bowl and keep aside.
- Combine pumpkin, remaining 1/2 cup of milk and sugar and cream cheese (fat free). Cover this mixture and blend until it gets smooth.
- Take a middle size saucepan and pour orange juice in it. Spread some gelatin over it and leave for 5 minutes. Cook this mixture on low heat till the gelatin gets dissolved. Pour 1 tablespoon of this mixture into the pan with pumpkin blend and the remaining into the blend of white cream cheese.
- Drop the pumpkin mixture onto the chilled coating in pan. Now, gradually pour the mixture of white cream cheese over the blended pumpkin. Use a table knife or a thin bladed, narrow metal spatula swirl this mixtures.
- Cover this mixture and allow it to chill overnight. Using a small sharp knife make pieces of this cheesecake and remove aside. Slice into 12 wedges for 12 serving.
Oven Roasted Turkey Stuffed with Fruit
Onions, pears, apples and red bell pepper are used to stuff the roasted turkey with fruit flavor and savory.
- Red Bell Pepper – 1
- Whole turkey – 15 lb
- White onion – 1
- Pear – 1
- Red apples – 2
- Margarine or butter – 1 lb
- Pepper and salt to taste
Procedure of Preparation
- Heat the oven till 300 degrees.
- Remove the gizzard bag inside the turkey after patting it dry. Slice the bell pepper in half and cut the veins, stem and seeds. Slice onion, pear and apples into bite sized pieces (cubes of around 1 inch).
- Melt 1/4 part of butter and apply from outside and inside the turkey. Spice the turkey with pepper and salt from inside and outside evenly, now fill cuts of pears, apples and onions. Roast and cook the turkey breast for around 45 minutes. After that, flip the bird and place one bell peppers on each breast and allow it to roast for 2 hours. Take out the bell peppers from the breast and roast till 30 minutes.
- Melt the butter and baste it on the turkey until it turns golden brown. Be more attentive for more 30 minutes. After removing the Turkey, keep it aside for 20 minutes. Now, it’s ready to slice and serve.
Above three healthy Thanksgiving recipes are easy to prepare and are less in calorific values. They can be served as modified traditional dishes which are delicious too.